This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies.  Find out more here.

Currently Abroad

If I am stranded abroad due to the Coronavirus and cannot come home on my planned return date - will my travel insurance be extended to cover me until I can get home?

Cover may be extended for the following reasons:

  • If you are hospitalised, require medical treatment and are unable to fly.
  • If your transport is disrupted or delayed.
  • If you cannot return home for any reason beyond your control

I’m in a country affected by the outbreak - will I still be covered if I’m affected by the virus?

As long as you did not travel against the FCO advice, then we will provide cover for emergency medical expenses if you contract the virus and require treatment. You should contact the local medical authorities and follow their instructions, as they will be able to direct you to a public hospital that will be set up to provide optimal care and quarantine. You should then contact the assistance team so that they can liaise with the treating doctors. We would recommend that you avoid the ‘dangerous/infected’ areas and follow the published guidelines to minimise your risk of exposure.

I want to return home early - what can I do?

If you are considering returning to the UK earlier than originally planned as a result of the viral outbreak, you may be able to claim to cut short your trip, but this will depend on the following criteria:

  1. If you cannot recover the costs from any other source, i.e. your tour operator, travel agent or airline. Please contact your tour operator, travel agent or airline to see if they are able to either refund any monies paid, or offer alternative trip options and dates, before submitting a claim. More information on your rights can be found here.
  2. The FCO or local authorities have advised that you should leave the country and return home.

If you have booked a package holiday to a destination affected by the viral outbreak and looking to cut your trip short, you should contact your travel agent or tour operator for information on availability of flights in the first instance.

If you are travelling independently from a tour operator or travel agent, you should make your own arrangements to leave by either altering your return tickets, where possible, or booking onto an alternative commercial flight. Claims for independent travellers’ additional expenses in returning home earlier, where medically justified, will be treated sympathetically.

If I am quarantined due to the Coronavirus, what cover is in place?

If you are admitted to hospital your policy will usually provide assistance with returning home when you have been discharged. Please contact our Assistance Team if you are admitted to hospital.

If we get to the airport and one of our temperatures spike, and we are refused boarding - what is covered?

Unfortunately, travel insurance policies across the market do not provide cover for refusal of boarding for any reason. You would need to approach your airline or tour operator for advice.

I am currently travelling abroad, is my policy still valid?

If when your trip started there was no FCO advice against all but essential travel, then your policy is still valid.

However, the FCO currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. The government have urged people to return to the UK. Therefore we would recommend coming back to the UK. You will need to speak to your booking agent about finding an alternative flight home as soon as possible.

If you choose to ignore this advice, then we will be unable to continue insurance coverage beyond the date that you were physically able to return back to the UK.

I am currently travelling abroad, how do I get home?

You would need to urgently speak with your booking agent in order to get a flight back to the UK.

Please note: We are not be able to assist in getting you home unfortunately, unless this is due to your injury or illness, and this has been agreed by our assistance team. It is important to note that medical repatriations are currently being prioritised to ensure the safety of those who are unwell and the assistance team will not be able to

I am currently travelling abroad and need to come home, are the costs of returning home early covered under my travel insurance policy?

This type of situation is not usually covered under travel insurance policies. We understand however that many transport providers are offering ticket changes at little or no cost to customers affected by change in FCO advice.

In the first instance, we would recommend that you contact your tour operator/travel agent to see if they are able to re-arrange your return travel for you. If you are travelling independently from a tour operator/travel agent, you should contact your airline/transport provider to see if they are able to alter your return ticket. There are some details further down the page as to who you can approach to support you before submitting a claim to our team.

You will need to evidence that you have approached and been refused a refund for these costs before we will consider a claim. You should also check that you purchased a policy which covers curtailment due to FCO advice changes.

You can look at the curtailment (cutting short your trip) section of your policy wording to see if a change of FCO advice is covered.

If you have more questions which have not been answered here, please click here to visit our claims and assistance provider’s dedicated FAQs page. Alternatively, please email;

Latest News:

From the 1st January 2021, Citybond Suretravel includes enhanced Covid-19 cover. This cover includes; Cover if you need to cancel you trip due to you or anyone named on your policy testing positive for Covid-19 in the 14 days prior to travel and Cover for medical expenses and repatriation due to contracting Covid-19 whilst abroad.

Please be aware - There is no cover on any of our policies if you travel against the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) advice, local government or local authority advice of the country you are travelling to or from, or World Health Organisation (WHO) advice or medical advice

FREE Newsletter!

Our newsletter is packed full of travel inspiration, news and latest offers and receive 10% off!

You can unsubscribe easily at any time.

Citybond Suretravel is a trading name of Travel Insurance Facilities Plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 306537. Company registered in England and Wales No. 03220410, Registered Office: 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. All rights reserved.